Chocolate Ice Cream
What does every New Yorker want during the summer? An excuse to eat ice cream.
- 8 large egg yolks
- 6 oz. sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Beat the egg yolks in an electric mixer for 4 minutes, until light colored.
- Combine sugar, salt, and water over medium-high heat. Heat to 230 degrees F.
- Add the sugar syrup to the yolks while mixing. Pour is slowly between the side of the bowl and the whisk.
- Continue to beat for a few minutes on high to increase the volume and cool the mixture.
- Place the mixing bowl into an ice bowl or ice water.
- Whip on high 2 1/2 cups very cold heavy cream, until soft peaks form
- 6 ounces of water
- lapsong souchang tea
- 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate
- Ice bowl or ice water
- Boil water and steep tea for 1 minute.
- Over medium-low heat, whisk in the chocolate until smooth.
- Place sauce pan in a bowl of ice or ice water, and whisk the chocolate sauce until the sauce thickens with air. Whisk by hand and then transfer to an electric mixer and whip until fluffy.
- Set aside to cool.
Fold whipped cream + mousse + grated tonka bean into the custard. Pour mixture into freezer- safe ice cream container and cool until solid.