Project: Make an instrument using the makey makey that can play scales; explain how the technology works; then, pair up and create a harmony. Visually explain how you designed the instruments to generate a harmony. Describe what worked for you and what you would like to improve?
Inspiration: Invention literacy is about learning the vocabulary and grammar of making things. Likely correlating with a fear of math and science, there is also a fear of understanding how things work. By learning the structure, function, and behavior or materials, people can begin combining materials to make meaning and communicate in the physical world. Silver asks, “What type of literacy gets someone to see the world as re-formable?” Literacies of all kinds build up a fluency that allow comprehension, interpretation, evaluation, and creation. Literacy empowers people to participate in unfamiliar activities, to accept and adapt to change, and to imagine. These are the moments of freedom that literacies enable.
Materials: Makey Makey, alligator clips, conductive materials, scratch
Grade Level: MS, HS (adapt for 4the grade)
*This project is a great way to build musical literacy, practice coding, basic circuits, mathematics of rhythm, and the science of waves.
- MS-PS4-1: Use mathematical representations to describe a simple model for waves that includes how the amplitude of a wave is related to the energy in a wave.
- MS-PS4-2: Develop and use a model to describe that waves are reflected, absorbed or transmitted through various materials.
- MS-PS4-3: Integrate qualitative scientific and technical information to support the claim that digitized signals are a more reliable way to encode and transmit information than analog signals.
Core ideas: PS.A Wave properties; PS4.C Information Technologies and Instrumentation
Crosscutting Concepts: Patterns, Structure and Function, Influence of Science, Engineering, and Technology of Society and the Natural World.
- SL.8.5 Integrate multimedia and visual displays into presentations to clarify information, etc.
- 6.RP.A.1 Understand the concept of ratios